On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 08:19:30AM -0500, Peter Billson wrote:
> Jeff,
>   It has been a long time since I used GDM for auto-login (it was just
> too much of a pain for my little brain to deal with! :-) so I can't help
> you there but auto-login would solve your problem of tying a particular
> user to a particular workstation.
>
>   You could use xsession to launch the window manager via a script that
> compares $USER to $DISPLAY and if they don't match, exit. Be careful
> that $DISPLAY may be a FQDN so you may have to tweak the matching to get
> it right.
>
>   Are you using these machines for the public or staff?

They are for the public.
I'm reading the LTSP theory of operation info now (Thanks JAM!) and
it looks like the K12LTSP setup (Which uses "gdm" instead of "xdm")
performs/operates/is configured fairly much like any regular X-windows
setup.

Where/when is the xsession script ordinarily invoked?
Obviously I'm missing something about X in general.  Any suggestions
what docs to read to get familiar with the X startup processes ?

Are $USER and $DISPLAY already initialized when xsession is invoked ?

Does anyone have an example of a script that does this type of thing?

Thanks all.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an