Simon Haynes wrote:

I've been trying to find an elegant solution to this, and I think it's time I asked for help :-)

The LTSP setup is in a primary school, and I need to lock down the terminals so the kids can't change anything at all. I've practically memorised the kiosk guide and the Linux Magazine article here (http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-11/kde_01.html), but neither seem to discuss the setup I'm after.

First, I've set up 16 users called ws001 to ws016. These represent terminals, and the names and ip numbers are in /etc/hosts. I've enabled the autologin, so when a terminal is switched on it gets a username from its DHCP-supplied IP address, and goes straight to the desktop. So far, so good. (If they log out they get a kdm screen listing ws001 to ws016, but I'll sort that out later)

I've set up a user called ws000, and my goal is to be able to use this one to edit settings. I've tried all kinds of trickery with $KDEHOME and creating softlinks from $HOME/.kde/shared/config to /home/kde-shared/config and softlinks from kdeglobals etc etc.

Is there a simple way? The Linux Magazine article talks about mounting KDEHOME on an NFS share, but that's not going to work for local terminals. I could duplicate the whole KDE path in a shared location, but that's overkill.

What I must avoid is hand-editing config files in each of 16 user folders ;-) I've written a script which adds new users and duplicates/renames the ws000 folder for them (preserving all settings)

I had this all set up at one stage, by using [$i] here and there, by hiding all the menu items, but suddenly 15 of the terminals are displaying the full KDE menu again, while one of them (ws016) shows the limited set I want. I deleted the ws015 home folder and copied the ws016 over, and ws015 STILL shows the full menu set! That's where I'm stuck, because that really makes no sense to me.

If anyone has a guide, or a 'this is what I did', that would be really helpful. I need to lock out everything if possible, from Konqueror to desktop editing, etc. etc.

Cheers
Simon

If I were in your shoes, I would use icewm (www.icewm.org). It is a fast,window manager that provides speed and simplicity in configuring. With icewm, you can limit users to what applications they can have access to run. Also, it has some pretty cool themes, even one that looks quite a bit like Windows XP layout (which might help bridge some of your Windows people to LTSP).

Ken Cobler