From: Anselm Martin Hoffmeister [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 12:36 PM
To: Gupta, Deepak (Deepak)
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] ltsp linux with RAM disk only

Gupta, Deepak (Deepak) wrote:

>We have a need to run diskless linux telco-grade engines for one of our projects.  So
>far, I have found a wealth of information from the LTSP web site, in fact I am close
>to getting a diskless client up and running.
>
>I have not done exhaustive research as yet, I am hoping that someone can point me in
>the right direction here.  For our needs we would NOT like to use NFS (to mount
>root), but rather just continue to use the RAM disk.  My questions:
>
>1     Can I reconfigure (possibly recompile) the ltsp kernel with the RAM disk
>(initrd) that it initially downloads with such that I can add/remove contents to the
>RAM disk.  If so, is there a documented procedure to do this?

Question in contrary: How would you want to retrieve those files?
IIRC, the workstations boot of an initial ramdisk (initrd), mount the
NFS-dir /opt/ltsp/i386 from the NFS server onto something like /mnt and
then change-root into this directory. You could manipulate the
linuxrc-script (get the initrd kit which contains all that stuff) and
comment out the line that does the mount. Instead you could e.g. use
something like

cd /newroot
wget -O- -q http://localserver/ramdisk-contents.tgz | gunzip -c | tar -x
chroot /newroot

(remember: at the time of nfs-mounting, network is indeed configured)
You would need to put wget (+libraries) into the initrd as well, gunzip
and tar probably too.
The command above (correct me if I was erroneus on parameters - read
manpages!) would retrieve a compressed file which then would be
decompressed into the ramdisk.
Remember this makes maintenance of  lts.conf much more difficult.

>2     If so, what are my limitations in terms of size of kernel/RAM disk combined?

The initrd would need much space, about 70Ms reside in my /opt/ltsp/i386
(though I'm not sure which packages installed, this is my test server)
which would need to be fitted into it.

>3     Needless to say, I would need to configure the kernel config files to not mount
>root over NFS and swap the original RAM disk root.  Is there a procedure for this as
>well?

Read above.

Can you tell us why you don't want NFS?

Regards,