On Wednesday 19 May 2004 05.45, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> Can someone advise me exactly how to configure 3Com 3c509 network cards
> for etherboot. I have downloaded the floppy boot disk, but once the
> kernel downloads it says that it can't find the isa card. I read on the
> rom-o-matic website that there is some trick using a special config
> file, but I couldn't find it at the 3Com website and I couldn't fully
> understand what is supposed to be done or how to do it.

Very simple !

All you need to do is to add a few lines in your dhcpd.conf file and restart
the dhcp  server.

What you must add is this:

#Declaration of 'options'
option option-128 code 128 = string;
option option-129 code 129 = text;

       host honeoy {
          hardware ethernet 00:60:97:2f:41:17;
          fixed-address 10.0.1.20
;
# This is the fix to your problem
          option option-128 e4:45:74:68:00:00;   #This is NOT a MAC address
          option option-129     "NIC=3c509";

          option host-name "honeoy";
          option root-path "10.0.1.254:/opt/ltsp/i386";
          filename "lts/vmlinuz-2.4.24-ltsp-4";
        }

Do NOT forget the first two lines that declare the options or it will NOT
work!

I do still have one problem, and it is that the card I'm using supports
full-duplex but it don't seem to use it.

/Marten

--
/*
Höjebromölla