Am Dienstag, 6. Juli 2004 17:13 schrieb Sanjay Arora:
> Now, if 6-7 LTSP Terminals are implemented using the same server as LTSP
> Server, and same usage requirements as above, what kind of memory
> requirement am I looking at? Do I simply multiply? or is some kind of
> reuse will happen?

There surely will be some reuse, but 384M is way few for 7 clients. At current
pricing, I'd recommend putting in an additional 512M memory module. That
should be sufficient for evaluation - if your users are that much "power
users", you will be able to do further upgrades later.

> Also, what if Evolution or mozilla being used by one LTSP user crashes?
> Do all crash? If so, can there be any virtual segmentation be there at
> the cost of higher memory?

Usually the bug will not occur in the "shared libraries" - they tend to be
shared among programs as well, and be fairly stable. In case a uers's process
crashes, only his program will breakdown.

> I am using 10/100 Mbps Realtek 8039/8029 Cards, with 10 MB Hub and CAT 5
> cabling. I need low cost so, what are suggestions on implementation?

Get a 100MBit switch. They come about 15 Euro here, for 8 ports, iirc. That
should be enough improvement for a small network, but Hubs are really way
outdated, and 10Mbit the same :-) (Nevertheless, I run a school lab with
10Mbit BNC cabling - just because the cabling cannot be changed, being partly
inside walls, and not inside cable compartments)

> Also, is there different type of PXE bootrom for different cards etc.?
> What do I order for my cards. I won be able to return it if it does not
> work with my cards.

The PXE ROM must match the cards. I guess if you have 100MBit cards, they will
be RTL8139 - standard one. You can get an etherboot ROM for them without
problems. The rtl8029 are NE2000-clones - should be no problem either, but
it's a different ROM - if you switch them, both machines won't boot from
network :-)
You can either get a realtek PXE rom (at least for the 8139 I know they have
the binary on their website for download) or an open-source etherboot ROM
matching those cards. To be sure which settings you wish on the etherboot
ROMs, you can retrieve the "floppy" version from www.rom-o-matic.net and test
a bit how well it works.

HTH

Anselm