Hi!

short version:

Where to put the "de" file which is normally located
at  /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/xkb/symbols ??
It seems my client can't find and load the keymap.

long version:

i am running ltsp4.0 using Mandrake 10 on the server-side and as terminal
clients i use the Asus Pundit. I have no german keyboard layout on the client
itself, only when i logged in for the first time i had to configure the
german layout in kde. This works fine and doesn't bother me.

Now I added some older pcs and they work fine, except, i can't get the german
keyboard-layout working under kde.

This is the relevant part of the lts.conf i suppose:

[Default]

        XkbTypes           = default
        XkbSymbols       = de
        XkbRules           = xfree86
        XkbModel           = pc104
        XkbLayout          = de

I tried various XF86Config-files each with explicit german keyboard-settings:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "Keyboard"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    Option "XkbOptions" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

(some people where suggesting XkbModel pc105 others pc104)

There are two errors which might be related:

1) When i start X the xserver fails because it cannot read the log
in /tmp/var/log. The directories /tmp/var and /tmp/var/log don't exist on the
client. (They do exist on the server in /opt/ltsp/i386/ and are chmod 777)
When i create these folders on the client, the xserver starts just fine and
brings me to the login-screen.

2) When i switch to screen_02=shell using crtl+alt+F2 i have
us-keyboad-layout, which usually doesn't bother me, because nobody works
there anyways.
When i try loadkeys de (i copied libraries and stuff it complained about) i
finally end up with:
"findkeymap: No such file or directory
cannot open file de"
There is already one under /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/xkb/symbols

The XFree86.0.log gives me hints in the same direction:

(++) Using config file: "/tmp/XF86Config.1"
(==) ServerLayout "XFree86 Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "My Monitor"
(**) |   |-->Device "My Video Card"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "de"
(**) XKB: layout: "de"
*
*
*
*
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
*
(EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
(II) Server_Terminate keybinding not found

SetClientVersion: 0 7

(EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
(II) Server_Terminate keybinding not found

So whereto do i have to copy the de-file?
Does it seem reasonable to think this would solve my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Stefan