On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 07:23, Dirk H Bartley wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have users on LTSP terminals logging in to a server to get access to a
> business application.  In this application the backspace key does not
> work from the client.

I used to run into this on AIX machines a lot.  There are two possible
fixes, both easy once you figure out which you need.

First, check TERM.  I'd bet that it isn't set the same on your terminals
and on your remote host.  Change it on the remote host, not on the
terminals.  This environmental variable tells many programs how to
communicate with the terminal (but it doesn't change the terminal's
behavior at all, so changing it on the terminals won't help).

So, telnet to your remote host, type 'export TERM=linux', and start your
app.  If the backspace key works, put that in the remote host's
equivalent of .bash_profile and you're done.

If you get an error about TERM=linux, it means that linux isn't listed
as a termtype in /etc/termcap.  You can either edit that file or try one
of the other termtypes, such as ascii or dumb.

If linux isn't in /etc/termcap and you don't want to waste time adding
it (it's a nuisance, no doubt about it), you can use stty to work around
it.

> I've tried using the stty command ( stty erase \^H ) to no avail.

I think you did this backwards.  The character after 'erase' should be
what your terminal is sending, not the character you wish it sent.  Try
'stty erase ^V<BS>' (hit control-V, then the backspace key) while
connected remotely.

Good luck!
--
David Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>