I have problems with XKB with the X server run by LTSP. The error I get from
GNOME is (translated from Norwegian):

Error when activating XKB configuration. Probably an error in the X server.
Version info: The X.org Foundation, 60700000.

KDE is more silent about it but clearly has the same problem as it can't
change keyboard layout.

Changing the initial keyboard layout through lts.conf works fine.

The other X server I tried (Cygwin/X on Windows XP) didn't have the problem
and I could change the keyboard map easily. The thin clients are Compaq EVO
T20, the only thing about that that could matter is that the keyboard is USB.
LTSP is 4.1, the server installation is Debian sarge (with packages installed
by hand, so there could be server side dependencies... but then, why does it
work from Cygwin/X?)

Any ideas?

// Dag Sverre