Lots of routers have a dyndns.org client built-in.
dyndns.org service is free. Then you won't have to
worry about a software solution to give you a static
host name. If your router doesn't have it built in,
get the latest firmware and maybe it will be there.

I would also install FreeNX on your k12ltsp server.
FreeNX is a X-windows proxy (am i correct) that
superly compesses X so it runs relatively smooth over
a slow (56k) connection. To me it is almost like nite
and day compared to VNC. On your firewall/router,
foward port 22 (ssh) to your k12ltsp box. This will
allow you to use your NX client from outside to
connect to your server. Even if you dont get NX
working, you should at least be able to admin the box
using ssh.

Here is an article about how to setup FreeNX on
Fedora:

http://www.fedoranews.com/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/