On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 08:32 -0500, Brian Beck wrote:
> Richard Bos wrote:
>
> >I'm would like to use the ltsp in combination with wireless clients.  I have
> >some questions about that which I did not find answered in the wiki neither
> >in the mailinglist archives.
> >
> >I found some promising emails telling that wireless in combination with
> >notebooks works ;)
> >
> >My questions:
> >- what is a good acces point unit (brand, vendor) to use.   It is for a
> >maximum of 16 clients.  Will any acces point or wireless router work?
> >
> >- What is a good and known working wireless nic?  Same as above, will any
> >wireless nic work, or only some?
> >
> >- Related, but probably more difficult to answer; what is a good and known
> >working nic (pcmcia) for a notebook?  Xircom does not work, but other pcmcia
> >cards?
> >

> I would be very careful when attempting to use LTSP over a Wireless
> link.  In addition to potential connection problems, you will have very
> serious bandwidth problems.  Maintaining an 800x600 screen over a
> constant 100Mbps connection is difficult enough; dropping the speeds to
> 11Mbps (802.11b) would be all but impossible and 54Mbps (802.11g) would
> be very difficult.  Feel free to try, but I have serious doubts about
> the potential for such implementations.

This'll also be in part, a matter of how close the thin client is to the
access point - with dense walls making things slower than thin air.

VNC might help a lot with that:
http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/vnc.html

NX might help still more:
http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/NX-notes.html

NX claims to be able to give comfortable performance over a dialup
modem.  I just started experimenting with it over the weekend, via a DSL
line, and I'm liking it.

-But-, Wifi+LTSP doesn't sound like a particularly secure combination
unless you do some form of tunneling.