-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Krishna
Murphy
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 11:57 AM
To: Gudmund Areskoug
Cc: ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] What distribution should I use?

Hey-

I'm looking at a situation in W. Africa where I think LTSP might be a good
fit for their needs. Ubuntu sounds like a good way to go for desktop stuff
- but I've heard concerns about using it as the server. What's the general
concensus, if any?

-Krishna

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

Hi Peter,

Father Peter wrote:
> SuSE is definitely nice.  It rapidly became my favorite distribution,
> and has held that pretty firmly.  I do have some concerns, though,
> that given enough time, Novell might just mess it up beyond all
> recognition.  So I question its long-term viability.  Does anyone else
share that concern?

not since it went open, no. I did have concerns when there was talk about
giving KDE just a back seat position to Gnome, but they seem to be steady
about supporting both equally well, which is just how i like it.

> It's nice to hear the recommendations about Ubuntu.  I think it would
> have to be pretty impressive to get me to dump SuSE at this point in
> our project, but it might at least give us another option if SuSE does
crumble.

Some general things I've picked up about Ubuntu:
- It seems to play a rather important role in South Africa, not sure how
important. One place for hints is schooltool.org, which I'm keeping an eye
on for many reasons.
- I've heard from old pupils of mine, that it's enjoying a rather popular
status amongst many young Swedes. Since they solve their problems via other
communication channels and fora than the "established" people and
organizations, they go more or less completely below the radar, which
results in bewilderment amongst those at the high Swedish Ubuntu download
rates. A good sign :).

BR,
Gudmund