Hi Krishna,

> Is there a big disadvantage to running the SERVER in a vmware environment?
> It might be good to have a pre-packaged setup in v-machine that could be
> downloaded and used for initial testing, prior to actual deployment.
I've been doing exactly this with Xen. Xen is Open Source software,
released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

> There
> are of course some penalties for using anything that way, but having ALL
> of the sensitive setup parameters right is worth a lot - and most PCs have
> plenty of horsepower, especially as there might only be 1-2 clients.
Like you say, "All of the sensitive setup parameters". I've not only
got the LTSP installation right, but mplayer plays all formats, the
right browser gets opened when you click on a url from within the
messaging app, localization options are correct, etc, etc.
So now I've got one Xen, Debain Etch/KDE/LTSP image that I can use for
different installations.

Cheers,
http://www.gatopelao.org
Chris.