Am Freitag, den 21.07.2006, 14:25 -0400 schrieb RP:
> About 5 years ago I had a small LTSP setup working and was duly
> impressed.  Today I have a different project with a different set of
> goals, and I'm wondering if LTSP would be up to the job.
>
> I have 12 systems, all running 1920x1080 displays, 16 bpp, with the
> output rotated 90 degress.  They all have NVidia cards, and all use the
> free "nv" driver, which has performed flawlessly.
>
> Here's my question:
>
> Can I ditch the hard disks in these systems, and instead have them boot
> off a server using LTSP?  Will LTSP support 1920x1080 with 16 bit color?
>   Does LTSP offer the "nv" driver for X?  If so, will LTSP allow the
> "rotate" option that that driver supports?
>
> These systems display giant JPEG images, that change every 10 minutes.
> There is no motion video involved or anything like that.
>
> With all this in mind, and if LTSP really is up to this, what kind of
> network will I need?  Will my existing 100 Mbps network be ok, or would
> 1 Gbps be required?  And finally, what kind of server would it take to
> drive all 12 of these systems simultaneously?  Can anyone offer their
> experiences with a similar setup or provide a ballpark estimate?

If it really boils down to ONLY displaying a new image any 10 minutes,
then you will probably be able to drive that from a 586 server... there
is not much processing power involved then on server or clients, and not
too much data sent over the network neither.

Having the rotation will not be a problem. You already figured how to do
that, and you have a working Xorg.conf. Save that and use it in LTSP for
the clients. There is an appropriate lts.conf setting to use a pre-set
Xorg.conf instead of autoconfiguration.

The rest is getting autologin setup, and running a "display manager"
that is basically something like the "xli" program, with a SIGHUP sent
whenever the source file needs to be re-read. You probably have that
running already from the local machines, so porting that to a server
will not make large a deal.

My €0.02 only,
Anselm