On Saturday 22 July 2006 03:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> About 5 years ago I had a small LTSP setup working and was duly
> impressed.  Today I have a different project with a different set of
> goals, and I'm wondering if LTSP would be up to the job.
>
> I have 12 systems, all running 1920x1080 displays, 16 bpp, with the
> output rotated 90 degress.  They all have NVidia cards, and all use the
> free "nv" driver, which has performed flawlessly.
>
> Here's my question:
>
> Can I ditch the hard disks in these systems, and instead have them boot
> off a server using LTSP?  Will LTSP support 1920x1080 with 16 bit color?
>   Does LTSP offer the "nv" driver for X?  If so, will LTSP allow the
> "rotate" option that that driver supports?
>
> These systems display giant JPEG images, that change every 10 minutes.
> There is no motion video involved or anything like that.
>
> With all this in mind, and if LTSP really is up to this, what kind of
> network will I need?  Will my existing 100 Mbps network be ok, or would
> 1 Gbps be required?  And finally, what kind of server would it take to
> drive all 12 of these systems simultaneously?  Can anyone offer their
> experiences with a similar setup or provide a ballpark estimate?

Since you have extreemly trivial performance needs, this seems like a very
good solution.
I think the refresh rate <time to load a new image> will stay unchanged from
your current setup. you may want to play here to make a smoother transition,
or stagger refreshes in your systems <all systems refreshing NOW is the worst
scenerio>
I've not used a nv card in a thin client, but in princepal there should be no
issues at all. This is (almost) putty - what xorg can do, so the client can
do (3d is an issue ie DRI over a network)
There has been some discussion here about making nvidia's drivers work too.
James