If you're going to use the server font server (aka xfs), make sure that it is
configured to listen for tcp connections. The pertinent setting are
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config:

        # don't listen to TCP ports by default for security reasons
        #no-listen = tcp
        listen = tcp

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 20:59, David Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 10:42 +0100, Patrick Sherlock wrote:
> > Hello everyone
> >
> > This probably sounds very old fashioned. I like to use LyX for creating
> > some types of document and find that xdvi is quicker than the
> > alternatives for getting an idea of what the printed version will look
> > like. I also occasionally use xfig for quickly creating diagrams.
> >
> > These both work fine when I am working directly on the 'server' machine,
> > but when I use a thin client via LTSP, xdvi gives the message:
> > Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> > Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
> > Error: Aborting: no fontset found
> >
> > Similarly xfig on startup gives a number of warnings such as:
> > Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> > Warning: Cannot convert string "-URW-Nimbus Roman No9... etc
> >
> > Apart from the problem with xdvi, LyX works very satisfactorily, and
> > xfig is fine for the diagrams - but I can't change the fonts.
> >
> > Is there a way of getting xdvi and xfig working properly over LTSP?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions. I am using SuSE 10.0 and LTSP 1.4.2 update
> > 3.
>
> You might try "USE_XFS = Y", this will tell the clients to use the
> server's X font server instead of using the fonts in /opt/ltsp/i385/.
> If this solves your problem, you can either continue to use XFS, or you
> can copy the missing fonts into the appropriate directories
> on /opt/ltsp/i386/.
>
> -David

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |