On Wednesday 07 February 2007 05:09,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've been looking into thin client tech, WinTS, Thinstation, NX etc...
>
> And I've actually used Thinstation and Win TS.
>
> But I can't say that I've really got a grip on how LTSP 4.2/5 works.
>
> >From what I can gather, LTSP seems more like something aimed at
>
> diskless fat clients?
>
> Booting from PXE and loading X - locally (?) - and running apps like
> firefox - locally....
>
> I mean...sure, you've got centralized control, but it's not really
> that thin if you run everything locally?
>
> Or can you select what apps you want to run locally?
>
> I've noticed that when running with thinstation, I can max out the
> switch and really push the server when many users are running java or
> flash, and is for me a real show stopper.
>
> So if I only want firefox and java/flash/mplayerplug-in to run locally
> and everything else on the server, seemlessly, can I do that? (that
> would be the selective fat-client approach)
>
> I know some thin clients come with linux or win embedded with a
> browser, but then you'll have to minimize the remote session and then
> start the browser, hardly intuitive for non-experienced users.
>
> Buuuut I've probably just got it all backwards - as usual ;)
>
> But I would appreciate if someone would set the record straight.

LTSP is a thin client with (mostly) only support to run a keyboard display
LTSP is enhanced to allow debuging, local devices, audio, local apps etc

Running firefox as a local app is expensive!
    IMHO you need 512M ram (256M for firefox to cache in plus the ram to run
    the thin client and firefox app, java, flash etc)
    You need a processor to do the work, so 200MHz (ebox2300) and 500MHz (via
    EPIA) etc are out.
    Big processors need fans, make noise, void the beauty of the thin client.

But, it works! Your call.

I would have thin clients and servers as needed to accommodate the load. ie I
think 30 ebox2300 and say 4 servers with 4G RAM each is a more cost effective
solution than 30 modestly beefy clients and the server which still needs 4G.

Having said all that the current audio is a mess. So local app to support
audio apps is quite nice.
Lots of people have made audio work to some extent.

Any body scaled LTSP audio to 30+ clients? Comments?

James