Hello Ben,

Ben Green wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:48:12 -0000, Ben Green
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> What I have so far is:
>>
>> Reason against using it for a particular user are: * Particular
>> legacy applications need supporting * Very high performance
>> multimedia tasks are being undertaken such as # live music
>> performance # video editing
>
> I just re-worded this for better accuracy:
>
> Use LTSP wherever there are no reasons not to. Increased set up and
> maintenance difficulties arise in the are where particular legacy
> applications need supporting. LTSP is not currently appropriate where
> very high performance multimedia tasks are being undertaken such as:
> * live music performance * video editing

depending on setup and size, being aware of moving to a single point of
failure environment might be a good thing. If you only have one server,
and that goes down, all the terminals are down too. Natural for those
setting it up, mysterious for the average user.

Other than that, the stumbling blocks that come to my mind, are those:
- New thin clients are expensive in many regions (e. g. Sweden), reusing
old "fat computers" isn't, but is less neat.
- The same stumbling blocks apply as for any other Linux migration,
possibly compounded by how to set up Wine/Crossover to serve legacy
Windows app's from a server, including propagating sound and Windows
app's being made as single machine app's (e. g. need to access a CD
drive etc.)

I've been out of the loop for a bit, so I'm not up to date on any issues
of setting up Firefox properly, so users don't cross-contaminate each
others sessions and it doesn't eat lots of resources.

One thing I believe needs to be emphasized on the plus side, is that
while sticking with the "easiness" of dealing with familiar fat Windows
boxes *seems* cheaper, it is IMNSHO just a case of self-deception, since
the real cost is then spread out over an organization, landing elsewhere
than on the IT account, with users flailing about when they get virus
hits, random updates wreaking havoc on existing app's etc. etc. And in
the end, "Someone" has to clean up the mess.

We all know that guy Someone, don't we? ;) In some cases, it's the
dedicated IT guy, and in some cases, it's the almighty Janitor, who may
or may not be a computer wizard, but in any case mostly doesn't have "IT
support" in the work description or the paycheck spec's.

Which might add up to "Controllable and transparent cost of ownership"
as a plus point for LTSP.

BR,
Gudmund