It's almost ideal: a Pentium II-mobile, 400mhz, 128 mb of RAM, 1024x768
screen, and it has been sadly immobilized by circumstances I won't go
into here. The downside: the only NIC I can get for it is PCMCIA.
Apparently, there's a PCI NIC built-in, but it has to have the docking
station, and docking stations for this laptop can't be found anymore.
(At least, I can't find one.)

So I installed GRUB and copied bzimage and initramfs onto the boot
partition, and booted them. The kernel and initramfs load beautifully.
As I feared, there's no driver or module or whatever it's called, to
initialize the PCMCIA NIC. The bootloader fails and there's a kernel
panic. (No big deal.)

I know it should be possible to get drivers for the PCMCIA host adapter
and NIC, and load them into the initramfs. I just don't know how. :-)
I'm prepared to read lots and learn lots, I'm just not sure what to
start reading, and I have a feeling that asking here could be a lot
faster than googling for everything.

Maybe someone here has already done this and can enumerate the steps
involved? :-)

Thanks for any and all help,
David