Hi,

Just some thoughts.

On 6/15/07, John Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007 00:56, Lee Portnoff wrote:
> > We have a building with 25 LTSP clients.  We will open another location
> > across town.  I need to choose to design the network.
> >
> > A few topologies come to mind:
> > (1) to keep servers in building A and login from building B.  However,
> > if there is a problem with the Internet, then all the computers in
> > building B, are down.

Perhaps you could contract a seperate, internet indepenant connetion
from your local provider to connect building A and B, and use freenNX.
How often do you expect the connection to go down? Would the users get
by without the connection if it did go down?
If all users are on the ltsp system, then you wouldn't need the
internet connection.

> > (2) to have servers in both buildings; but synchronization may be
> > problematic.  (And will take bandwidth)

Are the users going to move between buildings?
If not, each server has the homes of its local users. No need to sync.
Shared files could be held just in building A.

> > (3) to take a hybrid approach.  Remote login as in topology (1);
> > however, each night 'Copy/Rsync/Unison' building A to building B.  This
> > way in the event of Internet failure, building B can run locally.  So
> > there I have nicely synchronized files, offsite backup, low bandwidth
> > usage.
> > note: (mainServer has dual Xeon processor and 8gb ram w/ raid drives)

You could sync your homes over to building B every night but only as a
backup. If your connection goes down, change your home mount point (or
something like that).
This could also be your general backup policy too.

We are starting to do something like this too. In building B most
users are still using windows PC's, but some are using NX to open a
session in building A. Four months running smoothly.

Chris.