I am running Ubuntu 7.04 with Windows 2000 terminal services session
with VMware Player.
rdesktop connections work for me.

I think my virtualization uses 'bridged network?'  Check to see that
your Windows 2000 can ping the host and that you have VMWare tools
installed.

See if you can connect to your session with Windows Remote Desktop?
That connection will be easier to troubleshoot.
If you connect with Remote Desktop then you should be able to connect
with the most basic command "rdesktop <ipaddress>"