On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 09:01:03AM -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Or maybe the "xdmping ots-4 -v -t 1" command already does this, in
> that case disregard my comments :-)

xdmping is not homebrewn by us. It's available e.g. at:

   http://frmb.org/xdmchoose.html

> Also, would the xdmping command work in LTSP5?

In our case it's part of a startx script.

> If we really wanted to do completely fair load balancing with unequal sized
> servers we
> would almost have to create a formula that compared CPU average usage, total
> memory
> versus free memory, bandwidth usage (and for higher availability possibly
> uptime to
> determine stability).

Does anybody know what 'load' currently means? Sometime I have a load of 1.5
or more on a server without any noticable cpu or mem activity.

> Somehow plug these numbers into a formula that would determine
> the best possible choice and assign it a weight based on total servers
> queried with say
> the lowest number being the best choice and the highest number being the
> worst.  I guess
> the more I think about it, number of logged in users on a machine is actually
> of no
> relevance. There could be 1000 users on server A and 2 users on server B, but
> if server
> B averages more CPU/RAM/Bandwidth usage, then server A should get the higher
> score
> regardless of the amount of users.

Exactly.

> You could have a formula that has "cat /proc/loadavg | awk '{print
> $1,$2,$3}'" in it and
> that totals all three usages and divides by 3 to get an average of the
> averages, or just
> stick with the 15 minute average with "cat /proc/loadavg | awk '{print $3}'".
>  Then do
> something with "free | awk '{print $1,$2}'" and calculate a percentage memory
> used.  Not
> sure what would grab bandwidth usage but if we could calculate percentage
> used there as
> well, then total the load average with the memory usage and bandwidth usage
> percentages
> and order them with the lowest total getting the best weight of 1 and so on.

But this all assumes that you are already on the server. My current
understanding is that the basic load balancing is achieved by choosing the
least loaded server to login. So this has to take place on the thin client
before you get logged into one server.

Or do I have the wrong picture?

Helmut