Inline . . .
Jim McQuillan wrote:
> David A. Kennel wrote:
>
>> So I've been through the LTSP source tree and I have an Ubuntu
>> installation to examine and compare to. I'm however a little fuzzy on
>> exactly what I need in the initramfs and kernel. On LTSP <= 4.2 the
>> kernel required the IPautoconfig, DHCP and NFS root options and the
>>

> LTSP hasn't used IPautoconfig for many years.  before LTSP-3 I think.
>
> We do the dhcp and nfs requests in userspace in the initrd/initramfs.

OK, that's helpful to know. I must have missed that change I thought I
remembered those options as being required in the LTSP 4 Kernel Kit. So
what needs to be in the initrd to do the DHCP and NFS requests? (Aside
from the obvious, dhcpcd and nfs utilities.)

>> initramfs image had to contain a number of packages from the LTSP kernel
>> kit. The documentation references using an unmodified kernel but then
>> using a modified initramfs with NFS root support. Can someone elaborate
>> on what is needed here?
>>

> "needed" ?   I don't know what you are trying to accomplish, so I can't
> comment on what's needed.

I'm trying to package/integrate LTSP v 5 for RHEL 4, and eventually,
RHEL 5. ( RHEL is our standard for most deployments and we cannot easily
move to using Debian/Ubuntu for our LTSP servers . . .). So my
requirements are similar to the work being done on the Debian/Ubuntu
integration of LTSP with modifications for the Red Hat way of doing
things (Red Hat Update Servers, etc.).

So as I understand the boot process we need to boot a kernel and
associated initrd via PXE. Then we will do a DHCP request in user space
using dhcpcd in the initrd. After network configuration we do a NFS
mount request for the client root on the server. How is the pivot root
handled in LTSP 5, or is that no longer needed as well?
> Jim McQuillan
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

David Kennel
Los Alamos National Laboratory