Robin Bonin wrote:
> Running LTSP 5 on ubuntu, I need to be able to remote reboot the clients
> (I have some clients inside the ceiling driving some monitors with
> company stats on them). Ltspinfo seems like it is the right answer in
> 4.1, but I cant find it on my system. Is there anything else, other than
> running a ssh service on each client?

Why are you reluctant to run ssh?

Install ssh in the client space.  Add your server's keys so that
passwords are not required to access the client.  You can beef up
the security as you see fit.  Done in this way, all your clients
use the same key.  I don't see this as a risk.  Everything of
interest on the client is running on the server.  Client is just
a smart terminal.

server # ssh client_001 reboot

Method 2:
On the server create a new file system.  Can be quite small.
Let it be mountable rw by all clients.  Mount it as
"remote_commands"  In this directory, create a directory for each
client, with the name of the cleint.

On the client, create a cron job that periodically checks for the
contents of /remote_commands/`hostname`/
If it finds a script there, it copies the script to /tmp, deletes
the script from the server, then executes it.  (Or the last line
of the script can delete the script.

You can fancy this up, by having the client drop off the results
of executing the script.

Method 3:
Use netcat.  The client can periodically open a netcat and
attempt to reach the server at an arbitrary port.  Each client
has a separate port.  This can get clunky, and has terrible
security.