On 9/17/07, Helmut Lichtenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 12:23:39PM +0200, Chris Fanning wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > This isn't exacly a ltsp question, but here goes (sorry for the off-topic).
> >
> > We are thinking about setup two desktop servers on our national
> > network. Users will connect to the sessions via freeNX. Perhaps
> > loadbalancing with dns.
> > If one server goes down we would like to use the remaining online
> > server for all users as a failover mecanism.
> >
> > We are wondering what options you might recommend to keep the homes in
> > sync across the two servers.
>
> Mount the homes on both servers from a third nfs fileserver. Then you have
> only one instance of home directories.
> This is how we do it with 3 terminal servers and about 150 users.

Hi Helmut,
Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.
You see, if we loose one of the servers, that might be because we
loose the connection with the whole building (power cut, network
failure, etc). If the nfs home server is at that building, the online
server won't have /home. :(
We are looking for ways to make each node indpendently funcional.

Might you have advise about distributed file systems?

Thanks again.
Chris.