On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 04:42 -0700,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:11:31AM -0700, Mel Wade wrote:
> > > In LTSP, each client is seen by my content
> > > filter and firewall as all coming from the same address - the LAN
> address of
> > > the LTSP server.  Rules and authentication all happen based on the
> IP
> > > address.  So what happens with my LTSP lab is that the first user
> would go
> > > to the internet and the filter would request a login.  Once that
> user was
> > > authenticated, the content filter would not require additional
> logins and
> > > would log traffic from all users to the first user, making traffic
> logging
> > > useless.  Citrix's feature allows each client to have a virtual IP
> on the
> > > LAN, enabling authentication to work.
> > >
> > > Is a feature like this available or in the works for LTSP.
> >
> > No, it's not possible, as all the traffic is, indeed, coming from
> one box:
> > the ltsp server itself.
>
> I wonder how the Citrix thing does it - probably something maximum
> proprietary ;-)
>
> Or is it just some bug they call a "feature"? </rant>

A Thin Client is a keyboard/display on the server and as such it behaves
EXACTLY as one expects and wants.

A Fat Client (and there are lots) has its own IP address etc. If you
want FAT choose FAT.

LTSP and local apps will give some of the FAT features, but it will take
fiddling to get right and IMHO it is not a solution.

I know nothing about citrix, but I'm sure that they are NOT thin clients
(If they were then by definition you could not tell one instance from
the server, or another)

James