On Wednesday 31 October 2007 02:21, Mel Wade wrote:
> Can anybody confirm if they are Thin or Fat clients?
> ie This Display has an IP of its own as opposed to having the server IP
> Curious - James

They are thin clients, they clearly just found a way of allocating Virtual IPs
on the same network card to each ICA session.

We currently run Citrix Metaframe 1.8 and are moving across to LTSP, leaving
Citrix purely to publish the remaining Windows apps to our LTSP desktops. On
Metaframe 1.8 all the clients do indeed have the same server IP address. One
of the benefits our reseller was trying to sell to us for Metaframe 4+ was the
ability to have virtual IPs for each client. We decided to go LTSP.

We have always found the single IP address (on Citrix) an issue because some
software makes the assumption that each IP is a different client. For example
our core management system only allows each user (or rather IP address) the
ability to log on four times, which means in theory only 4 users out of 45
can connect! Luckily the system is produced by our Citrix reseller, so they
had to make it work for us.

The other issue with a single IP is trying to track down Internet abuse to a
particular user. On Citrix we get around that by requiring proxy
authentication.

> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:11:31AM -0700, Mel Wade wrote:
> > > In LTSP, each client is seen by my content
> > > filter and firewall as all coming from the same address - the LAN
> address of
> > > the LTSP server.  Rules and authentication all happen based on the
> IP
> > > address.  So what happens with my LTSP lab is that the first user
> would go
> > > to the internet and the filter would request a login.  Once that
> user was
> > > authenticated, the content filter would not require additional
> logins and
> > > would log traffic from all users to the first user, making traffic
> logging useless.

You had me scared there for a minute, but I've tested on our LTSP 4.2 server
and the second user does have to log onto the proxy server (Squid).
Unfortunately our Squid set-up is on a locked down appliance, so I can't
share it's set-up, but I would imagine it's pretty standard.

Chris.