On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 12:06 -0700,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> server
> >> IP
> >> They are thin clients, they clearly just found a way of allocating
> >> Virtual IPs
> >> on the same network card to each ICA session.
> >
> > Aaah thanks, I was technically interested, not sales marketing hype
> > interested. So with its own IP it is a FAT (or virtual FAT) client.
> >
> > A Thin Client (again technical bla) is a keyboard/display on the
> server.
> > It can't have an IP, the server already has one.
> > [...]
>
> That seems like a somewhat arbitrary distinction. What's the benefit
> of
> defining a thin client by the presence or absence of an IP address?
> Seems like the only things that would qualify would be the old dumb
> terminals on a serial line. I was also thinking of multi-headed X
> server
> configurations, but then you don't really have a client at all.
>
> I'd say there's a spectrum of different configurations having more or
> less "thinness" depending on how different parts of the load are
> distributed between client and server. By your definition, something
> that boots over the network, mounts its file system over the network,
> then opens an x session on a server still doesn't qualify as a thin
> client?

I'm not pounding any particular definition. This is the one I learned,
so A Thin Client AKA an X Terminal can have its own hard disk OS etc BUT
it remains a keyboard/Display on the server. Multihead machine are also
that but who is concerned.

A FAT client is a complete machine that uses another to sustain it. (net
boot or net fs)

A standalone machine is a self sufficient FAT client.

The blurring of these concepts has led to zillions of questions to these
lists over the years.

So a Windows Remote Desktop can be on a standalone, fat or thin client.
I imagine that every instance of the remote desktop shares the IP etc.

James