Hello,

I have an unusual problem.

I used to use ltsp 4 kernels with modified script init in initrd to boot
fedora on diskless machines and run it from nfs (thick client - only nfs root
but also usable as thin client). I was quiet happy using that and I realized
that once I will have to produce this kind of kernels. Now it is time I
should build (or use fedora's) one, because now I upgraded client
installation to fedora 8 and the broken hal package in fedora does not start
with kernels without md support (it is looking for /proc/mdstat). Yes, I
know, the easiest solution is to patch hal to overcome this bug/feature. But
I decided to try to use fedora kernel.

But when I put fedora's modules (2.6.23.1-49.fc8) into initrd and build fedora
kernel, the busybox sh segfaults immediately. I expect it is because of
incompatibility of uClibc-0.9.19 with new kernels.

So I tried another mean. I downloaded kednels from ltsp5. The original ltsp5
kernel for debian etch even does not boot. I hangs on nfsmount. So I tried
ltsp5 kenel for ubuntu. Successfully. It boots, but it fails to run correctly
my init on nfs filesystem. It runs, it also reads inittab, but it does not
run sysinit script (don't know why). Also I would like the behaviour of
switchroot I was using before. Only to switch between nfs root and initrd,
and to umount filesystems used on boot. (Previously this was also not
possible because of dhcpcd running on the initrd fs - but never mind). But
the new initrd does not contain switchroot binary and I don't know what
version of libc is on the initrd.

Can somebody drive me to find some reasonable solution? Is it possible to
somehow make the ltsp4 image to boot and not segfault? Or is there some
possibility to get switchroot into ltsp5 image? Or is the best solution to
build the whole image myself?

Wouldn't be the best solution for ltsp itself also to have the kernel which
could boot into the nfs filesystem completely forgetting about initrd after
switching to new root?

Thank you.

--
Marek Greško