On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:49:31 +0100, Ondrej Valousek wrote
> Hi Jim,
> Any success with the Xorg guys?

Not really.  A handful of ideas were passed around, but in all they still think
this is
not their problem.  I tend to disagree, as their X server should not allow
clients to
crash it....buy since I'm not them this doesn't really matter.

However Firefox3 will have this fixed.  There are a handful of new features
that will be
implemented to control this.  By default it looks like the cache will purge
data that
has not been called on after 45 seconds.  There will also be a user
controllable setting
in about:config to fine tune how long data stays in cache.  So we should have
the
ability to set this very low in the future on thin client installs.

One size doesn't fit all, but having the ability to choose your own size easily
will be
great.

Also a workaround is the increase of NBD swap.  I run 512MB RAM in my clients
now, and
512MB swap for them as well.  Also the tweak to not allow an application to
consume more
than 80% or so of client RAM should be included in Gutsy, so at least your
clients won't
freeze.

If anyone wants to check out the xorg thread from my previous post there are
some good
suggestions in it.  I did have a guy from there volunteer to write a shim that
loads
firefox with some cache tweaks, it works pretty good.  But Jim McQuillan did
advise
against this as it is a very sloppy fix.  But if your desperate it will load
Firefox in
a way that it kills all the cache within seconds.  This keeps firefox from
crashing your
client, but the sites that are causing the problems load very slowly if at all.

Best work around is to switch to Opera or any non-mozilla based browser as they
do not
have this problem at all.

Jim