First, all the best in the new year.

I updated Gnome gdm in Debian testing a few days ago, since then the
laptop I use as a thinclient shows only the grey screen.

The box has been running LTSP for the laptop since June 2006, I must say
that all this time it has served with out a problem,  great work. I log
directly into server with gdm

I did a clean install because the installation was getting quite
tattered. It started out as Sarge updated to testing at many times over
the last years or so. Gnome pretty well quit working a month ago. Kind
og gotten use to XFCE.

The problem still exist with the gray screen even with the new
installation. I do believe it lies with GDM 2.20.2-1 the XDMCP tab is
not available, /etc/gdm/gdm.conf has XDMCP enable = true.

I removed gdm and installed xdm. Login from the remote terminal with a
bacic graphic is possible, how ever login on the server itself is text
only. wdm did not work at all. Can some one suggest another dm that is
compatable with XFCE4?

Paul