When I setup my Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) with LTSP 5, I had problems getting
clients to start.  I read (in one location) that lts.conf was no longer
necessary.  (I do not remember where, sorry.)

When all else failed, I found a reference that lts.conf had been moved
to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc.  When I looked there, I did not find any lts.conf
file.  So, I created my own, placed it there and clients worked.

I did (later) find a reference to lts.conf file in the Edubuntu
handbook.  This page I printed has an address of
http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/handbook/C/ltsp-client.html on it.
Whether it is still there, I do not know.  But, it also says that
lts.conf is to be in the above listed location.

Hope that helps.