jam wrote:
> On Saturday 07 June 2008 03:08:39 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
>> I would like to use LTSP for our Java development team. The primary
>> tools/software they use is Eclipse which requires an approx of 500 MB
>> memory to run smoothly.
>>
>> I have a few queries regarding the same:
>> 1. Is it a good idea to deploy thin-clients for such usage?
>> 2. Is it fine to run such memory hungry apps in an  LTSP environment?
>> 3. If the above 2 are in the affirmative(yes), then what would be the
>> recommended server configuration for 8 such developers using
>> thin-clients based on LTSP?
>>
>> Any help, advise, criticism ;-) in this regard shall be highly appreciated.
>>

> The TCs are a mouse, keyboard and display on your server.
>
> So the app displayed on the client has nothing to do with the client, cause
> the app is running on the server
>
> EXCEPT some apps cache data (images) on the local X-server (your ThinClient)
> eg firefox (and need client memory for this)
>
> In terms of your team, much of java's bloat (sorry to the faithfull) is
> shared
> so you won't need 500M per TC user (on the server). I'd start with the usual
> 50 or 100 M / TC plus what the server needs then adjust
> ie say 10 Clients + 1G needed for the server = 2G.

That seems fair enough. Thanks.
> This unleashes the 1G limit of 32 bit OS's. You want to have a 64 bit OS for
> your server to handle the memory cleanly.

But aren't 32 bit OS's capable of handling 4G memory. I think after
linux kernel 2.3.16 or somewhat later, the kernel too could handle up to
4GB efficiently. So if I breach the 4 GB barrier then I may have to
think about a 64 bit OS which might be tricky and may require more
effort w.r.t LTSP installation as well as Java and all other supporting
apps.
> The BigMem solutions have the worst impact with lots of users. With lots of
> shared memory it will be better than lots of different but be aware that 64
> may be an issue.

Could you please elaborate on this one?
> James

Thanks,