My version of a conclusion.

When a user installs VMware onto Ubuntu (v8.04 in my case,) the install
instructions I followed (at howtoforge.com) indicates that xinetd needs
to be installed prior to installing the VMware packages.  When xinetd
installs, it removes openbsd-inetd (what Debian/Ubuntu uses as it's
default inetd service.)

That will "break" LTSP thin-clients, resulting in the BusyBox prompt.

Upon re-installing openbsd-inetd, it's dependency is to remove xinetd.
That action repaired my LTSP install and our clients can once again boot
properly.

What is interesting is that after re-installing openbsd-inetd (the
Debian/Ubuntu default inetd service,) VMware still runs.  I (was
guessing) that without xinetd, VMware would not run. But, after server
reboot, no problems appear as yet and LTSP and VMware still run.

Thanks to jam and thanks to Oliver Grawert, their posts greatly helped
me find my answer.

So, now I wait to see if there are other unforeseen consequences of my
actions.  But, for now it works and I am pleased.