Xavier Brochard wrote:
> Le Thursday 16 October 2008 11:58:33 Gavin McCullagh, vous avez écrit :
>
>> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, jam wrote:
>>
>>> Security through complexity is dumb and ends up biting you:
>>>
>> Security by obscurity will probably work against brute force ssh worms, but
>> is less likely to work where there is a determined attack.
>>

> There is also security against stupididity:
> Setup an old computer, older as you can, with small amount of ram and little
> hardrive. If possible, use something other than i386 (amiga, atari, ppc,
> sparc...). Put on it a minimal Linux, ssh server, and one user account. Set
> the hardrive readonly.
> Setup your router to redirect ssh port on it.
> If someone hack the computer and try to hack the network behind, he will be
> very annoying: no gcc, little amount of ram (computer will crash quickly),
> etc. Best if its not i386, because he can't copy a compiled program.
>
> --
> à bientôt, Xavier
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

/me wonders if sticking a rotten banana in the port will keep the evil
hackers away...

Seriously, this conversation is getting kind of silly. I seriously see
no need to launch a completely separate sshd just for administrators on
a different port. There are plenty of network-layer utils available to
secure a port from the outside world. There is no need to make
LTSP/Edubuntu setups more complex for this purpose. If you need access
to ssh from any IP on the net to your internal LTSP server, set it up -
but I really don't think this is a common enough scenario to warrant a
default secondary sshd for everyone. You're gonna get tons of admins
asking "why do I have an open port 2222? Why the hell is ssh running on
2222??"

Again, just my ever-declining-in-value $0.02.

- Jordan/Lns