----- "Kai Wollweber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> kirjoitti:
> yesterday I recognized the problem of slow java applications on our ltsp
> clients. In our case the java program "geonext" is unuseable but
> importand for our school. I found your solution posted some weeks
> ago:
>> The sluggishness of some Java applications can be solved in Ubuntu
>> Hardy by replacing the /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6.2.0 file in Hardy with
>> the version in Gutsy (presuming Firefox and Java are 32-bit versions, so
>> they use 32-bit libraries).  The main difference between these versions
>> appears to be that the Hardy version links to /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0
>> and /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1, and the older version does not.  Similar change
>> may work as well with other LTSP distributions that are affected by this.

> 1.) How can a single file be replaced between different Ubuntu versions?

Simply replacing the file (with cp) should be enough, but in
case updates should happen to ia32-libs package that contains the
/usr/lib32/libX11.so.6.2.0 file, those updates will overwrite the
changed file.  dpkg-divert can be used to solve this problem, it can
be used to divert file updates to another place (in this case, because
the file is a shared library, it should not be in the same directory,
otherwise ldconfig will link to the wrong file).

You might want to test by simply installing the gutsy version of
ia32-libs package, it should work, but I don't recommend that as a
permanent solution (it will change many other libraries as well).

> 2.) Where can I get the file from Gutsy?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy-updates/amd64/ia32-libs/download

You can unpack deb-archives with (IIRC):

(mkdir tmp && cd tmp && ar x ../ia32-libs_2.1ubuntu4_amd64.deb && \
   tar -zxf data.tar.gz)

You'll find the file there.

> 3.) Are there side effects that probably can affect the system?

Perhaps, but I'm not aware of any.

> 4.) Am I right that the file needs to be replaced in the ltsp chroot?

No, X-clients use this library, so it needs to be replaced in the ltsp
server environment, NOT in the image that is served to terminals.

I hope this helps.

Juha