Jarosław Stemplewski wrote:
> You can create a 'template' user, fine-tune all the user setting,
> remove unneeded icons, install firefox plugins, lockdown some gnome
> apps and settings etc., then copy the whole content of the user folder
> to /etc/skel.

I don't think this is a very good idea considering the alternatives
(editing GConf directly for default/mandatory settings instead of
copying user-level gconf config to /etc/skel, firefox plugins/etc).. I
would think that once you start modifying things, stuff like Mozilla
profiles will be user-specific and aren't exactly portable to copy. I
might be wrong though, if I am someone please speak up.

It is trivial to install flash/java/etc globally, without copying the
plugins over and over for each user. For Ubuntu flash, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/AdobeFlashFirefoxPluginLTSP
and for Java see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/Java6PluginHardyInstallandFix )

Cheers,