On Thursday 18 Dec 2008, Scott Balneaves wrote:
> Although, by using LTSP thin clients for access, he won't have to buy the
> "client" side of the license, he'll still be liable for the "server" side
> of the license which, last time I checked (4+ years ago) was the expensive
> bit.
>
> Could someone else update us with the latest CAL pricing structure?

I don't believe that there is any such licensing structure for Windows XP, so
your best bet is probably to buy retail licences for every user (ouch!) and
even then I'm not sure that it would strictly adhere to the eula.

For Windows Server 2003 I was told that I did need the terminal services CALs.
UK prices six months ago were 22 GBP for the server CALs and 64 GBP for the
terminal services CALs.

I will be sick as a parrot if I've been wrongly advised.

As I understand it, it is critical to opt for user-based licensing rather than
device based licensing, and (at least when I last looked into it) it's best
to downgrade to Windows Server 2003 rather than the current version which
uses RDP v6.  That might well be out-of-date now, depending on the state of
play with rdesktop.

--
Chris Roberts

LTSP Version    : 5.1.10-1~40