Le jeudi 30 juillet 2009 23:32:18, David Burgess a écrit :
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Asmo Koskinen<asmo.koski...@arkki.info>
wrote:
> > Srdjan Vasiljevic kirjoitti:
> >> How powerful server would you recommend for 25 users ?
> >
> > "Server sizing in an LTSP network is more art than science. Ask any LTSP
> > administrator how big a server you need to use, and you'll likely be
> > told "It depends"."
> >
> > http://www.ltsp.org/~sbalneav/LTSPManual.html#id2697011
>
> Amen to Asmo's post.
>
> My 2 cents: My modest setup consists of a server and exactly 4 thin
> clients. The server is a Xeon x3110 (C2D E8400 clone) 4GB RAM and a
> 3-drive RAID5 for /home. Clients are 100 mbit and server is 1000 mbit.
> Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64.
> OpenOffice.org and casual web
> browsing on 25 clients won't bring a modern build on a GBE network to
> its knees.

To complete with a very different use:
I also have a modest setup in a little non-profit organisation. It works very
well for day to day job (openoffice, kpdf, kmail, konqueror, mozilla,
flashplayer):

Pentium IV server (1,2 GHz) with one cpu
- 512 kb of Ram (it is not enough, it would be better with 1GB at least)
- 2 old ide disk (60 GB each) in a software Raid array
- 100 Mb ethernet Card for internet
- 1GB ethernet card for thin client
- running Debian Lenny x86

Betwen 4 and 7 ltsp client
+ 3 windows client by samba

As this organisation doesn't have budget, I prefered to invest first in a good
backup solution, then in server.

Xavier
xav...@alternatif.org