> You'll probably think my response is less than helpful, but perhaps it will
> get the ball rolling.
>
> Personally I wouldn't recommend leaving the beaten path, unless you are an
> experienced LTSP user.  There is quite a lot to learn about LTSP, and
> starting off by creating your own version of it, at least in part, is
> asking
> quite a lot.  Perhaps I am wrong to assume that you are new to LTSP?

I do not mind tearing into the LTSP source code, figuring it out and making
it do what I want it to do, if some would point me to a link for the source
code. It would be nice if there were documentation, but I will figure it out
if there is not.

> You might consider seeking help for your pulseaudio problems, I know there
> is
> a widespread view that pulseaudio is evil, but perhaps getting it to work
> for
> you might be easier than the alternative.  Personally I never even think
> about sound, it just works.  Perhaps Ubuntu has a particular problem with
> sound?

I do not think that pulseaudio is "evil," I believe it has it place, it is
just not what I want in my place.

Sound works fine on my clients! What I am having problems with is getting my
microphone to work using pulseaudio in applications run with ltsp-localapps.
In particular, I am trying to run twinkle or ekiga. I also can not get
arecord to work from a ltsp-localapps instantiation of xterm with pulseaudio
installed.

>From the chrooted environment, I can run aptitude purge pulseaudio, but it
removes an extensive list of applications that must have pulseaudio
dependencies built into the ubuntu distribution that ltsp-build-client
installs. Then I have to go back manually and reinstall this list of
applications minus pulseaudio, but including esound. One application that I
can not reinstall is ltsp-client because it has hardcoded dependencies on
pulseaudio it appears. Why is this? However, without ltsp-client, the sound
on my new client images is activated on the server speakers, not on the
local speakers.

So, I can uninstall pulseaudio and rebuild the image with esound and
kubuntu-desktop-kde3, but I can not get the sound to function locally.
Anybody know what might be causing this?

BTW, my client is a DELL Latitude C600 with Maestro3 sound drivers and if I
boot it with Knoppix 5, the microphone works fine, so I know it is working.

Regards,

Murrah Boswell