After trying everything I could think of or find in searching the list, I tried

XSERVER=radeon|ati|vesa

radeon and ati did not work, but vesa did. Too bad it seems a bit choppy.

Another thing I tried was to install a full Ubuntu desktop right onto
the client, and that didn't work either. I've tried searching the
problem on the ubuntu forums and in google, but the real challenge
there is in narrowing down the results.

Thanks again for all the input on this thread. Too bad about buggy ati drivers.

db