I've just brought an Intel D945GCLF2D Dual-core atom machine as my thin
client and I'm running into all sorts of problems regarding the graphics
driver and sound.

My server is using Ubuntu 9.10 64bit with a 32bit client image standard
build, ie: I haven't installed any packages under the client build yet.

Problem 1, Graphics:

The graphics driver is a Intel GMA950 chipset.  I have tested this setup
using a livecd and it picks up the correct driver and enables full 3d
support straight off the livecd (Ubuntu 9.10 64bit & 32bit).  If I boot
without a lts.conf file then my thin client will boot with 3D support
but only at 800x600 resolution.

How do I find out what driver it's using? (I've checked the
/var/log/Xorg.0.log but that's referring to my server).

I've read up on a similar problem and can adjust the resolution but have
to use the vesa driver as I don't know what the driver is for this
chipset.  I've tried setting it to i810, i840, i800 as when I startx on
the thin client it complains that it cannot find i810.

Here are some settings which work but only in vesa mode.
  [<thin clients mac address>]
    XSERVER="vesa"
    XRANDR_DISABLE=True
    X_MODE_0 = 1024x768
    X_VERTREFRESH = 59-61
    X_HORIZSYNC = 30-70

Problem 2, Sound:

The chipset for my sound on the new board is a 'Realtek ALC662 Rev1'.
This works perfectly on the livecd as well.  The problem here is that
the sound works on the thin client image but the problem is that there
is a lot of static noise at a moderate volume level and whatever you
play is crackly and skips a lot.  My test case has been the Ubuntu start
up sound.

I've tried the latest kernel, no help there and because the livecd works
and it's on an old kernel I don't think it's this anyway.

Am I missing a package?
If so, how do I tell which package I need for the sound?

Problem 3, Booting:

Every time I test I have to unplug and wait about 10 seconds before I
reboot the thin client otherwise I get a heap of mounting errors
referring to the nbd.  I was told that this is due to the ram isn't
clearing.

Here is the error I get here.

mount: according to mtab, aufs is already mount on /

mountall: mount / [416] terminated with status 1.
mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /proc

mountall: mount /proc [409] terminated with status 1.
mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /sys

mountall: mount /sys [410] terminated with status 1.
mount: according to mtab, udev is already mounted on /dev

mountall: mount /dev [411] terminated with status 1.
mount: according to mtab, /dev/nbd0 is already mounted on /rofs

mountall: mount /rofs [412] terminated with status 1.
mount: according to mtab, tmpfs is already mounted on /cow

mountall: mount /cow [413] terminated with status 1.

Is there a better fix that this?

Michael Pope