On 05/08/2009 09:20 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> Andre Majorel wrote:
>> Hello LTSPers. I'm soon going to have to install two LTSP
>> terminals behind recent LCD monitors. Do you know of any boxes
>> that satisfy these requirements :
>> - power : 230 VAC,
>> - video : 1920 x 1200 AT MINIMUM,
>> - video : two or more of {VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort}.
>> - quiet : fanless and of course diskless ?
>>
>> Since one of these boxes will be used to view films, I guess it
>> better have a gigabit ethernet interface...
>>
>> Size, weight and looks immaterial. I'd rather have a big ugly box
>> with multiple video outputs than a cute small one that can only be
>> used with monitors that happen to have to exact same video
>> connector.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> This board may meet your requirements:
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D945GSEJT/D945GSEJT-overview.htm
> http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GSEJT-Mini-ITX-Motherboard
>
> You would of course need to add a 230 V AC to 12 V DC inverter, but
> those are readily available.
>
> The only issue I can see (which is what stopped my from buying one) is
> that according to the specs the DVI only goes up to 1600 x 1200.  That
> eliminates any new 22+ inch 1920x1080 HD size DVI screens -- a big
> shortcoming IMO.  The VGA does 2048 x 1536 though it may still meet your
> needs.
>
> If anyone does try one of these please post the results to this group.
> I am curious how well they work -- especially if the DVI can run at a
> higher resolution than the spec says.

Replying to myself...

Anyway, I did end up trying these and I am glad I did.  They run
1920x1080 DVI with no problems.  IIRC they even run basic 3D desktop
effects OK.  Not a strong graphics chip though, so if you need H.264
acceleration or something stick with the recent nVidia stuff.  Of course
getting the proprietary driver running on the chroot could also be a
headache.

Jeff