We have a test LTSP server that we had set up in early April with Ubuntu
Karmic, which works great. When Lucid came out, we used the upgrade
manager to upgrade the server. The upgrade completed without errors, but
when we tried to boot a thin client it failed at the TFTP download,
saying permission to access the file was denied. I tried using a tftp
client from another computer, but no matter what file I tried to
retrieve, it came back with "Permission denied". I finally did a clean
install of Lucid with LTSP on another spare computer, and found one file
with differences between the two configurations.
/etc/default/tftpd-hpa - clean install
TFTP_DIRECTORY="/var/lib/tftpboot"
TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure"
/etc/default/tftpd-hpa - upgrade
TFTP_DIRECTORY="/srv/tftp"
TFTP_OPTIONS=""
(lines without differences omitted)
Once I changed those two lines on the updated server (and built a new
client image), I was able to boot the thin client with Lucid.
I couldn't find anything about this on this list or in launchpad. If it
is a bug, I am willing to file, but wasn't sure which package was
responsible. Does anybody have any suggestions on what caused this?
On a related topic, what is the general consensus about upgrading vs.
clean installs on Ubuntu LTSP servers? We just started migrating some of
our LTSP servers from CentOS 5/LTSP 4.1 to Ubuntu in the last 3 months,
so this is the first Ubuntu/LTSP upgrade we have tried.
--
Michael Crider, IT Supervisor
Howell-Oregon Electric Cooperative

believed to be clean.