Le mercredi 9 juin 2010 17:48:45, Steve Cayford a écrit :
> On 06/09/2010 02:16 AM, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> > You can also let the thin-client decide on which server it will boot. A
> > server with a lot of load will answer later than the one with less
> >
> > Another possibility: at ldm login, users can be presented a list of
> > servers. Then they choose on which server they login.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> How well does it work to use the server's response delay for load
> balancing? The simplicity is appealing, but it sounds a bit haphazard.
>
> Some terminal users here get confused enough as it is, so I don't want to
> present them with more choices they don't understand. :)

I used it for 2 years in a little room (around 10 clients), it was working
quite well. But my DHCP servers were the same as my LTSP servers (the dhcp
server tells on which server to boot).

It is simple but not very different than DHCP setup with a DHCP failover and a
50/50 split. Look here
http://web.archive.org/web/20080410200233/http://theseus.sourceforge.net/projects/ets/supplemental.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20080410200233/http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/WorkInProgress#LTSP_load_balancer
if you need more explanations.

Another option is to use a boot disk with the server address built in (I think
it is feasible with Etherboot).

But in your case, ltsp-cluster looks like a better solution.

Xavier
xav...@alternatif.org - 09 54 06 16 26