More info!

I was using a Zotac ZboxSD-ID13 for my thin client which has "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150" graphics. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173036
I added 4GB of RAM when I was troubleshooting.

I also had Firefox and Google Chrome running as local apps. Although the desktop environment ran smoothy with MATE and Xfce, the browsers were still unbearable.

I switched now to a Dell Optiplex 7010 as my thin client with "Intel HD 2500 Integrated Graphics" and it works great. So, apparently there is a huge difference between those integrated graphics sets that was giving me terrible performance with my browsers, in addition to Unity. Keep in mind my LTSP server is running 12.04 LTS now.

The problem now is upgrading the desks around the department that are using the junky Intel GMA 3150.