"Aabrandt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

> .. I may be misled in this case, but I have never seen anything like =
> this in such an instrument. The upper pegheads of "theorboed" Guitars =
> were sometimes equipped with supporting bars, but lutes?

it was quite commen, nevertheless. Many pictures in related methods
support the idea. A bar was needed in order to keep the theorboed neck
straight when it was strung with guitar strings. In terms of aesthetics,
however, the construction may be considered at least doubtful.

--
Best,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/
Germany, T/F +49 - 421 - 165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]