Dear Tim,

on Friday 23 April 2004 01:08, you wrote:

> I have kept my Baroque at A415 forever. But, there are occasions
> where I wish it was @ A440.  Are there folks out there that do switch
> regularly between 415 and 440?   Would there be any re-stringing
> required for the two different tensions?

With my theorboes I quite often need to re-tune between 415 and 440.
(Well, now when I have 2 of them, I perhaps could quit the habit...;)

Anyhow at least with these big instruments it is possible to find a
stringing that works on both tunings.

In 23.09.2003 I answered to Alfonso about similiar matters in the Lute
List: Perhaps it helps to repeat our discussion here:

> [...]
>
> I don't think I know ideal solutions, but here are my experiences in
> stringing my new big Dieffopruchar theorbo.
> (http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/Chitarroni_300603/)
>
> The string lengths are 87cm and 160cm. First I tried double courses,
> but they did not feel god. My first try was (all nylgut):
>
>             a'=415Hz      a'=440Hz
>    87cm    3.4-4.0 Kg     3.8-4.5 Kg
>   160cm    2.9-3.1 Kg     3.3-3.5 Kg
>
> That was definitely too little - well I have only tuned to a'=415 -
> but that is where I play nearly always. And those tensions were
> meant for double fingerboard courses.
>
> Then I odered new strings from Aquila; there was some hurry, because
> gigs and courses were coming.
>
> The new tensions vary:
>
>             a'=415Hz      a'=440Hz
>    87cm    3.9-4.4 Kg     4.4-5.0 Kg
>   160cm    3.4-3.7 Kg     3.8-4.2 Kg
>
> And that feels quite good! I still have not tried the a'=440.
> At the end of my message I'll talk more of details.
>
> > Do you think the instrument will gain in volume by using thicker
> > strings?
>
> I guess that is not so easy; I think "the best" tension also gives
> the best volume and sound. But what is best... You just must test...
> :-)
>
> > Besides this I have another question:
> >
> > Aquila strings states that the string gauges for Nylgut are the
> > same as for gut strings. I have heard some people saying that
> > Nylgut should be slightly thinker than gut in order to obtain the
> > same tension. What are your experiences about this?
>
> I have heard that too, for example Jakob Lindberg says just that. I
> cannot comment because I have so little experience of gut strings.
> One thing I do know: it takes quite long for nylguts to achieve
> their final feel. So "quick testing" is not possible.
>
> Here is my stringing now, if someone is interested in details.
> There are certain problems, and also the available diameters have
> some effect to some variations. And I am so used of having 8
> strings on fingerboard - for the sake of continuo - that there
> are two or three extra problems. I might have a solution too,
> see below.
>
> (Use monospace!)
>
> note  string              tensions Kg (415, 440)
> a     54NG                  4.0, 4.5
> e     76NG                  4.4, 5.0
> b     50NG                  4.3, 4.8
> g     60NG                  3.9, 4.4
> d     85NG                  4.4, 4.9
> A    112NG                  4.3, 4.8    problematic
> G    1.05 Carbon!           4.1, 4.6    problematic!
> F    1016 Pyramid wound!!   3.9, 4.4    problematic!!
>
> E     76NG  3.7, 4.2
> D     85NG  3.7, 4.2
> C     91NG  3.4, 3.8
> B'   100NG  3.6, 4.0
> A'   112NG  3.6, 4.1
> G'   124NG  3.5, 3.9
>
> Mainly the feel and sound are very good. Only lowest fingerboard
> strings are problematic: the 6th is nearly ok as nylgut, but
> 7th and  especially 8th could not be nylgut.

Now I have played gigs also in 440 and the stringing works there too.
In 415 it is better - but that is where I most often use the instrument.
(And I have also tried different solutions to the problematic strings.)

Cordially

Arto