I think it was on this list that someone gave Thomas Mace's instructions for a pendulum-like time-keeping device that consisted of a bullet tied to the end of a piece of string attached to the ceiling. Apparently it works...

On 17 Jun 2008, at 14:32, Narada wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice though to have a traditonal metronome, just to keep in
flavour with it all. I wonder what they used back then? Had clockwork
mechanism's been invented in the 1500's? But I know what you mean, when I run my metronome on my recording studio, my timing is awful, must be my age.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Gibbs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 17 June 2008 14:15
To: Lutenet
Subject: [LUTE] Web metronome

I've been trying to play along with a metronome more often (even
though it's depressing to realise how unevenly I'm playing) and I
found this online metronome that's nice to use:

http://webmetronome.com

and this one that's not as useful but simulates a real metronome:

http://simple.bestmetronome.com

Andrew