Hello Chris - I certainly know what you mean about back pains. I'm
guessing from the range of devices - straps, cords, hooks and loops,
etc - that lute players in the past have tried - that our aches and
pain, at least, have plenty of historical precedence.

I believe Jacob Heringman gives combined lute/Alexander Technique
classes that focus on issues like posture, balance and relaxation/
tension. For me, this would be the way forward - rather than
mechanical implements.

Best of luck with whatever solution you find works for you.

Andrew