I thought that the OED was updated yearly - on checking their
website, I see that the online version is updated every three months.
The OED also has its own BBC TV program (Balderdash & Piffle) that
invites people to propose earlier usages and new words. Ah - the web
site has a 'Contribute to the OED' page with a 'New Etymological and
Dating Evidence' section:

http://www.oed.com/readers/research.html

Does someone want to update the OED lute-wise?

Andrew